BASI LEVEL 1 & 2 SKI INSTRUCTOR COURSE
10 WEEKS – Tignes, France – £8295
Join our BASI ski instructor Course in Tignes and train with the most experienced instructors in the Alps. Live in Tignes, the mecca of European snowsports and enjoy the huge Espace Killy ski area. On this ski instructor course in France you will make friends for life and gain invaluable experience from BASI level 4 ISTD instructors and examiners.
BASI qualifications are internationally recognised and this programme is the ideal option for gap years and those aiming to have a career in the ski industry. Level 2 is the minimum standard for employment outside the UK, so it is essential for any budding instructor wanting to work in an open mountain environment.
On top of your BASI training we arrange freestyle, race, moguls and off piste training, as well as a ski tuning workshop. During this course you will become an associate member of BASI and will complete the BASI Alpine Level 1 and 2 Ski Instructor Course exams. Upon successful qualification you will receive your BASI ski instructor licence*.
This BASI ski instructor course is delivered by highly qualified level 4 trainers and examiners from Gapski. Winter Sports Company have selected Gapski to deliver the training in Tignes for their skills, knowledge, experience and expertise and you can only sign up to this course through us.
Frequently featured in ‘Top 10’ lists for the best ski resorts, Tignes has everything you need and more. An energetic hub of activity, you’ll live just minutes from the nearest lift and many bars, restaurants and shops. As a ski instructor trainee, you’ll become part of Tignes life – making friends and partying with the locals.
Having hosted the British Ski & Snowboard Championships and the Winter X Games Europe, Tignes is made for world-class competition, and there is always something special on the calendar. Living and training in Tignes will be your first taste of ski resort life – and you’ll be hooked!
Work Opportunities After The Course
Ski instructors are in high demand at peak periods including February half term and Easter, so there is plenty of potential for work after your course at a variety of resorts in Europe. At the end of the course, successful candidates who achieve BASI level 2 will be put in touch with our school group partners in Austria and Italy.** Jobs include teaching a variety of lessons from beginners to high-end intermediates, from 12 to 17 years old. You’ll have the same class for 6 days, and will monitor their progress throughout the week.
*A requirement of holding a BASI licence is that you have a basic Criminal Record Disclosure. These are issued by Disclosure Scotland and need to be applied for before you start your course.
**Any job recommendation is subject to passing BASI Alpine level 2, performance and behaviour.
What they said
BASI Levels 1 & 2
How long for?
7 Jan 2018
6 Jan 2019
You must be comfortable skiing European Blue runs
Secure your place with a £300 deposit
What you’ll get
- 270+ hours of training and coaching time
- 3 weeks BASI Level 1 training
- BASI Level 1 course exam
- Ski school shadowing week
- 4 weeks BASI Level 2 training
- 2 week BASI Level 2 course exam
- All training with experienced BASI Level 4 ISTD ski instructors
- 70 hours’ ski lesson shadowing/teaching*
- First aid training course & certification
- BASI membership and licence
- Espace Killy Lift Pass
- Breakfast & evening meals 5 days per week
- Shared accommodation in a central location
- Race Coaching
- Freestyle Coaching
- Pre-Departure Snow Ready Fitness Plan
- Meals – breakfast & evening meal, 5 days a week
- Season lift pass for the full Espace Killy ski area
- Resort discounts in bars and shops
- VIP ski memberships with Rossignol – up to 40% discount
- Pre-departure Snow Ready fitness programme
Central Location Apartments
- Price based on 2 sharing
- Lounge with TV
- Free Wi-Fi
- Breakfast & evening meal 5 days a week
- Laundry Room – free to use
270 hours of training and coaching time over a 10 week programme
- Week 1: Resort orientation, introductions to BASI fundamental elements, on piste technical ski coaching and 2 day first aid course.
- Week 2: Introduction to BASI teaching models, teach training, delivery of beginner scenarios.
- Week 3: BASI level 1 assessment.
- Week 4: Review of BASI level 1 report and personalised action planning for technical and teaching modules of BASI level 2.
- Week 5: Ski school shadowing week, learn from our instructors working with clients on the hill.
- Week 6: Review and delivery of lessons shadowed, teach and technical coaching. Off-snow workshop and on-snow training in avalanche safety and use of off=piste equipment.
- Week 7: Off piste, race and freestyle coaching as well as continued technical progression.
- Week 8: Final week of teach and technical preparation before assessed weeks.
- Week 9: BASI Level 2 assessment.
- Week 10: BASI Level 2 assessment and end of season celebrations.
For those who pass BASI level 2 there is potential for employment as an instructor in resort as well as in other resorts in Switzerland, Italy and Austria.
Please note: BASI Level 1 has an online Safeguarding Children Module. This module costs £25, payable by the student.