BASI LEVEL 1 & 2 SNOWBOARD
10 WEEKS – Tignes, France – £8295
The Mecca of European Snowsports, with huge snow parks and boarder cross tracks, this is the BASI snowboard instructor course in the Alps. Snowboard with the most experienced instructors in the Alps and live in Tignes – on the doorstep of the huge Espace Killy ski area with over 300km of slopes and abundance of off piste. On this snowboard instructor course in France you will make friends for life and gain invaluable experience from BASI level 4 ISTD instructors and examiners.
BASI qualifications are internationally recognised and this programme is the ideal option for gap years and those aiming to have a career in the snowboarding industry. Minimum standard for employment outside the UK is BASI Level 2, so it is essential for any budding instructor wanting to work in an open mountain environment.
In addition to your BASI Snowboard training we arrange freestyle, race, moguls and off piste training, as well as a snowboard tuning workshop. During the course you’ll become an associate member of BASI and will complete the BASI Alpine Level 1 and 2 Snowboard Instructor Course exams. Upon successful qualification you will receive your BASI snowboard instructor licence*.
Our BASI snowboard instructor course in Tignes is delivered by highly qualified level 4 trainers and examiners from Gapski. Winter Sports Company have selected Gapski to deliver the training for their knowledge, experience, skills and expertise and you can only sign up to this course through us.
With everything you need, and more – Tignes is regularly featured in ‘Top 10’ lists for the best resorts. An energetic hub of activity, your digs are just a short walk from the nearest lift and many restaurants, bars and shops. Our snowboard instructor trainees become part of Tignes life – making friends and partying with the locals.
Tignes is built for world-class competition, and has hosted the British Ski & Snowboard Championships and the Winter X Games Europe. There is always something spectacular on the calendar, and living in the centre of the action you’ll never miss out on the chance to see the best talent in the world take on big-air and slopestyle contests. Living and training to be a snowboard instructor in Tignes will be your first taste of resort life – and you’ll be hooked!
Work Opportunities After The Course
Winter-sports instructors are in high demand at peak periods including February half term and Easter, so there is potential for work after your course at a variety of resorts in Europe. At the end of the course, successful candidates who achieve BASI level 2 will be put in touch with our school group partners in Austria and Italy.** Jobs include teaching a variety of lessons from beginners to high-end intermediates, from 12 to 17 years old. You’ll have the same class for 6 days, and will monitor their progress throughout the week.
*A requirement of holding a BASI licence is that you have a basic Criminal Record Disclosure. These are issued by Disclosure Scotland and need to be applied for before you start your course.
**Any job recommendation is subject to passing BASI Alpine level 2, performance and behaviour.
What they said
BASI Levels 1 & 2
How long for?
7 Jan 2018
You must be comfortable snowboarding European Blue runs
What you’ll get
- 3 weeks BASI Level 1 training
- BASI Level 1 course exam
- Snowboard shadowing week
- 4 weeks BASI Level 2 training
- 2 week BASI Level 2 course exam
- All training with experienced BASI Level 4 ISTD snowboard instructors
- 70 hours’ snowboard lesson shadowing/teaching*
- First aid training course & certification
- BASI membership and licence
- Espace Killy Lift Pass
- Breakfast & evening meals 5 days per week
- Shared accommodation in a central location
- Race Coaching
- Freestyle Coaching
- Pre-Departure Snow Ready Fitness Plan
- Meals – breakfast & evening meal, 5 days a week
- Season lift pass for the full Espace Killy area
- Resort discounts in bars and shops
- VIP snowboard memberships with Rossignol – up to 40% discount
- Pre-departure Snow Ready fitness programme
Central Location Apartments
- Price based on 2 sharing
- Lounge with TV
- Free Wi-Fi
- Breakfast & evening meal 5 days a week
- Laundry Room – free to use
270 hours of training and assessments over a 10 week programme
- Week 1: Resort orientation, introductions to BASI fundamental elements, on piste technical snowboard coaching and 2 day first aid course.
- Week 2: Introduction to BASI teaching models, teach training, delivery of beginner scenarios.
- Week 3: BASI level 1 assessment.
- Week 4: Review of BASI level 1 report and personalised action planning for technical and teaching modules of BASI level 2.
- Week 5: Snowboard shadowing week, learn from our instructors working with clients on the hill.
- Week 6: Review and delivery of lessons shadowed, teach and technical coaching. Off-snow workshop and on-snow training in avalanche safety and use of off-piste equipment.
- Week 7: Off piste, race and freestyle coaching as well as continued technical progression.
- Week 8: Final week of teach and technical preparation before assessed weeks.
- Week 9: BASI Level 2 assessment.
- Week 10: BASI Level 2 assessment and end of season celebrations.
For those who pass BASI level 2 there is potential for employment as an instructor in resort as well as in other resorts in Switzerland, Italy and Austria.
Please note: BASI Level 1 has an online Safeguarding Children Module. This module costs £25, payable by the student.