Founded in 1938 the Canadian Ski Instructor Alliance (CSIA) is the governing body for ski instructor qualifications in Canada and has over 20,000 members.
The CSIA is recognized by the ISIA (International Ski Instructors Association) and its four levels of ski instructor qualifications are highly regarded.
The Canadian Ski Instructors’ Alliance (CSIA) is responsible for the training and development of ski instructors across Canada and around the world. The CSIA system has 4 levels of ski instructor qualifications, with each stage becoming progressively demanding.
CSIA Level 1
Upon successful completion of a Level 1 course, instructors should be able to:
- Understand the mission statement of the CSIA.
- Define goals and objectives of a ski lesson.
- Plan the organizational needs of a lesson.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the 3 basic skiing competencies and the skill system of the CSIA.
- Know the structure of the CSIA.
CSIA Level 2
CSIA Level 2 enhances skiing ability, understanding of ski technique, effective communication, group dynamics and teaching skills.
You must have passed CSIA Level 1 to take part in the Level 2 exam.
Candidates need to succesfully complete both the technical and teaching aspects of the Level 2 course in order to pass.
Upon successful completion of a CSIA Level 2 course instructors should be able to:
- Define goals and objectives of a ski lesson at this level.
- Identify teaching strategies to be developed in order to ensure significant learning outcomes.
- Anticipate and plan the various elements linked to the organisation of a lesson.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of the 3 basic skiing competencies and the skill system of the CSIA.
- Understand strategies needed to teach children.
CSIA Level 3
The level 3 Certified Ski Instructor Course is an advanced training certification.
At the end of the course instructors should be able to:
- Develop strategies for effective communication, group dynamics, lesson planning and skill drill matching.
- Train in strategies to perfect and refine skiing skills for advanced skiers.
- Have knowledge of the skiing and teaching methodology of advanced terrain (moguls).
- Develop methods for effective analysis and development.
CSIA Level 4
The level 4 Senior Ski Instructor is an expert, internationally recognized course designed to develop the abilities of experienced instructors into trainers and leaders.
At the end of the course, instructors should be able to:
- Perfect assessment and development skills at all levels of skiers.
- Develop techniques and strategies for teaching experts and develop instructors.
- Perfect skiing and methodology on all terrain for all levels of skiers.
Snow Park Certification Course
This course is designed for any skier with park experience who wants an introduction to teaching snow park skills. It includes:
- An introduction to teaching snow park skills.
- Practical ski improvement and teaching methods with a technical understanding and development of the guest experience.
- Upon successful completion of the course, the candidate is certified to teach snow park skills up to and including intermediate skill levels.
For more information about CSIA ski instructor qualifications, please visit www.snowpro.com