Please follow the advice below for applying for your ETA.

Who Needs An ETA?

Canada holds a visa-exemption policy with many countries, including the UK and Ireland, allowing citizens to visit Canada for up to six months without requiring a visa. As of March 15 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals entering Canada by air will require an Electronic Travel Authorisation.

All travellers must have an ETA to board their flight. 
Those with a valid Canadian working visa (such as an IEC working holiday visa) do not need to apply for a separate ETA as an ETA is included within the documentation of the visa entry letter.

Applying for an eTA

Immigration, Refugee & Citizenship Canada website (IRCC): You must apply for an eTA on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website (CIC).

Before you apply, make sure you have:

  • a valid passport from a visa-exempt country
  • a credit/debit card to make a payment
  • a valid email address

ETA Application Tips & Advice

The purpose of the ETA is to provide Canadian Immigration with information about you. This includes a few simple background questions about your current job, financial information for your visit to Canada, and any medical issues you may have.

  • UK passport holders need to select ‘British Citizen’ from the passport list
  • If you have previously applied to enter Canada (via a visa programme or work permit) you need to provide your Unique Client Identifier (UCI)
  • Be honest and forthcoming with information
  • Apply in plenty of time – this is a new system and IRCC have not yet released expected processing times
  • Double check everything before you submit