Freeride Powder Camp
Experience the Jap-POW!
Back country skiing in the world famous Japan powder is a bucket list must for every serious skier and snowboarder. On this 10-day freeride camp you will experience some of the most consistent and lightest powder on earth. Based in the Niseko area, your expert guides will take you to the freshest and best snow across 11 powder ski resorts, with countless opportunities for back country skiing
Hokkaido is the powder paradise of the world. Hokkaido’s ski resorts average a jaw-dropping 18 metres of snow a year. It not only snows a lot, it snows all the time. In 2012 it snowed 94.5% days of the winter – fresh powder is always in the forecast!
During 9 days on snow you will be riding off-piste at a selection of powder resorts. We will tackle the peaks in Niseko Area and won’t miss the hike up to Mount Annupuri and Niseko’s back-bowls. The highlight of your Japanese trip will be the descent down Yotei – it will also earn you major bragging rights when you hike up Mount Yotei volcano and ski inside the crater!
On this freeride camp we base ourselves in the heart of the Niseko area of Hokkaido, there are several resorts close-by meaning each day we check the forecasts and take you to the best conditions. We offer a mixture of lift-access off-piste skiing (7-8 days) and backcountry ski touring where we’ll hike into the wilderness.
With a maximum of 6 people per guide, and 2 groups in total at any one time, we are able to create a unique and friendly atmosphere both on and off the snow. Small groups mean we can be very flexible, personalising trips so your time in Japan is perfect – whether it is night parties or early mornings hiking to make the first tracks.
Back country freeride camps are for advanced skiers, and whilst you don’t need to be an expert – you should be able to ski or snowboard confidently down European black runs. The expert guides will advise you in powder technique, your holiday includes video analysis to improve your deep snow technique and really make the most of the magical Japanese powder skiing.
At the beginning of your trip there is an avalanche training session where you’ll learn all about avalanche rescue and how to stay safe in the back country. You’ll also have the opportunity to experience nightskiing in possibly the best way – riding knee deep powder through tree-lined runs. It’s an opportunity you won’t get in Europe or North America.
If the incredible skiing hasn’t got you sold already – imagine yourself enjoying lunch, sipping on warm sake before hiking up a volcanic peak to have the ride of your life on the way down. Complete the day with some Hokkaido Ramen for dinner, and finish your epic day in a Japenese Onsen (hot spring) with a drink in your hand. It is quite simply, the stuff dreams are made of – for 10 days straight.
Niseko, Hokkaido, Japan
Advanced Adventure: You must be comfortable skiing European black runs
10 Days From £1880
- Lift ticket package (7-8 days depending on amount of lift accessible back country skiing)
- Expert Guiding
- Accommodation – 10 nights in a cost Japanese lodge
- Breakfast each morning
- Transfers between ski resorts
- Free hire of Scott Freeride Skis in Japan
- Free hire of avalanche equipment in Japan
- Avalanche training session
- Video analysis
- Evening presentation
- Optional Extra Activities
Japan has incredible lift-accessible back-country, just a short hike from the top of the resort lifts you’ll find untouched, pristine powder. You’ll also have ample chance to venture into back country wilderness with the option to spend 2 days back country ski touring.
Freeride powder camps tackle the Niseko Area of Japan and includes hiking up both Mount Annupuri and Mount Yotei. Resort highlights include:
- World-famous Niseko – the largest area on the island covering 4 ski resorts. Grand Hirafu, Hanazono, Niseko Village and Annupuri.
- Rusutsu offers the best tree skiing and side-country park for the ones willing to try some freestyle.
- Kiroro receives the same amount of white goods and is still pretty undiscovered. (Let’s keep it this way and don’t tell anyone).
- We also head to smaller resorts – hidden gems such as Kokusai orMoiwa. For the steepest terrain in Hokkaido and amazing ocean views we visit Sappora Teine.
- The highlight of your Japenese trip will be the descent down Yotei – it’s not every day you have the chance to ski inside the crater of a volcano!
Niseko is a laid-back mountain town with a surfing-town vibe and dozens of Onsen (hot springs), Japanese restaurants and bars for enjoy some much needed aprés. Sapporo is the snowiest city in the world with unique night life and great Japanese food.
There will be 7-8 days of lift access off piste skiing (with short hikes) with optional 1-2 days of backcountry ski-touring.
- Day 1: Arrival to Japan – private transfer to Japanese lodge
- Day 2: Rusutsu | Evening – Avalanche Awareness Presentation
- Day 3: Moiwa & Avalanche rescue practice | Evening – Japanese Onsen (hot spring)
- Day 4: Niseko back-bowls | Evening – Night powder skiing
- Day 5: Kiroro & video filming | Evening – Video analysis “powder ski technique”
- Day 6: Free day – Niseko area unguided – the perfect opportunity to ski areas again or rest your legs
- Day 7: Back country day at Mt. Yotei Volcano | Evening – Japanese Onsen
- Day 8: Rusutsu
- Day 9: Back country day ski touring in SW Hokkaido
- Sapporo Kokusai | Evening – Goodbye evening in Sopporo
What’s included in the price?
It’s time to experience the incredible Jap-POW! This 10 day Freeride Camp is guaranteed to bring you the steepest and deepest powder. With 11 resorts close by, this ski tour gives you a comprehensive package to include, lift passes, transfers to ski areas, expert guiding, accommodation, breakfasts, video analysis, evening presentations and hire of powder skis & avalanche kit. Once you’ve arrived in Japan everyone is sorted for you so you can just settle in to enjoy the snow.
Back country skiing with virtually no one else on the hill, I think the longest we waited in a lift line was when I need to adjust my boots, amazing. Clear blue skies and easily some of the best off piste skiing I’ve ever done. Give Winter Sports a call...