Electronic Travel Authorisation – Canada

IMPORTANT: As of 15 March 2016, visa exempt foreign nationals will require an electronic travel authorisation (ETA) to enter Canada. You do not need an ETA if you are taking part on one of our internships and hold Canadian working holiday visa.

Please follow the advice below for applying for your ETA.

Who Needs An ETA?

Canada holds a visa-exemption policy with many countries, including the UK and Ireland, allowing citizens to visit Canada for up to six months without requiring a visa. As of March 15 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals entering Canada by air will require an Electronic Travel Authorisation. Find out if you’re country is on the list.
All travellers must have an ETA to board their flight.

Those with a valid Canadian visa (such as an IEC working holiday visa) do not require an ETA.

Find out what type of visa you need for your snowboard or ski instructor course.

Applying for an eTA

You must apply for an eTA on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website (CIC). An eTA costs $7 and is valid for five years.

Before you apply, make sure you have:

  • a valid passport from a visa-exempt country
  • a credit/debit card to make a payment
  • a valid email address

ETA Application Tips & Advice

The purpose of the ETA is to provide Canadian Immigration with information about you. This includes a few simple background questions about your current job, financial information for your visit to Canada, and any medical issues you may have.

  • UK passport holders need to select ‘British Citizen’ from the passport list
  • If you have previously applied to enter Canada (via a visa programme or work permit) you need to provide your Unique Client Identifier (UCI)
  • Be honest and forthcoming with information
  • Apply in plenty of time – this is a new system and CIC have not yet released expected processing times
  • Double check everything before you submit