We understand that when you’re making an investment in a ski or snowboard instructor course, you are likely to have a lot of questions. We’ve put together the ones we’re asked the most, but if you have any different questions, don’t hesitate to contact us on 0(+44)1736 763402 or email info@wintersportscompany.com.

How much skiing or snowboarding experience do I need to do a course?

For our level 1 ski and snowboard instructor courses we recommend being confident on European blue runs. For some people this takes 3 – 4 weeks of skiing experience, but for others it can be a lot quicker or longer. We recommend calling us to discuss your experience level if you are concerned.

We generally have a few classes during training, so you will usually be assigned a group according to your ability.

Do I need a visa to do a course?

On a regular course, you only need a visitor visa or holiday permit for the country you are visiting.
For travel to Canada most clients are eligible for an electronic travel authorisation   – this is a simple online application that all must complete prior to travelling.

Those applying for internships need to apply for a working holiday visa once they have paid their deposit.

Please call or email the office if you have any further questions about holiday or working visas.

Will I be able to work after my course?

If you are aiming to work and train in one season, we advise you look at an internship. An internship allows you to train to be a level 1 instructor and then work for the rest of the season.

It is possible to work the peak weeks (Easter Holidays) in Europe after your ski instructor course. We have contacts in popular European resorts who need extra instructors during the school holidays.
The minimum standard to work in most of Europe is level 2 – so doing a level 1 & 2 course starting in November will allow you to train and work in same season.

To work after your training, you will require the right to work in whichever country you are applying to – working holiday visa info.

Am I guaranteed work after my snowboard or ski instructor course?

Our internships include a guaranteed job so long as you pass the level 1 ski or snowboard instructor exam at the end of your training. We have a 100% pass rate on this entry level exam.

Those on a regular course are not guaranteed a job after the course, however many of our previous clients now work at the resorts where they trained. As a trainee on a ski and snowboard instructor course you spend months training within the sports school, so your name is well known and you’ll always be top of the pile when applying to the sports school.

How much spending money will I need?

How long is a piece of string?

Spending money is very much dependent on your lifestyle.
Those on a tight budget have been known to manage on less than $50 a week by spending wisely – buying groceries to make meals outside of the dining plan.

As you are living in a ski and snowboard resort during your course, there will be a lot going on in the evenings so we recommend budgeting for a few nights out during your stay.

Do I need insurance?

Snowboard or ski instructor course insurance is a prerequisite in our terms and conditions, so clients taking part in any of our training programmes must have adequate insurance.

Insurance policies vary by individual needs, so we can’t recommend a provider to you. We have, however got discounts for our customers with reputable insurance providers.

Is there an age limit to do a ski or snowboard instructor course?

We have had people as young as 15 and as old as 76 do our Canadian ski and snowboard instructor courses.

The main clientele on an instructor course are those aged 18-25 on gap years and 40+ having an extended holiday or career break. There is always a good age range of people to make friends and socialise.

To do a BASI instructor course you must be 16+.

How much do ski instructors earn?

Ski and snowboard instructors earn depending on their skill level.

In Canada level 1 ski instructors will earn around $12-$13 per hour, however some resorts, like Hidden Valley, are owned by the government and pay up to $26 per hour for level 1. With every qualification you acquire (level 2 etc) you will earn an extra dollar or two per hour.

Ski and snowboard instructing will never earn you millions, but the lifestyle is second to none!

Where about can I work with a ski or snowboard instructor qualification?

The world is your oyster!

Usually level 2 is the minimum standard to work in popular resorts in most countries (Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, UK snow domes). You can get work as a level 1, however this is usually at very small resorts or as part of an internship at a larger resort.

All the qualifications we offer (BASI, NZSIA, SBINZ, CASI, CSIA) are internationally recognised and hold equivalency with the national qualification in most countries. In fact, the only country you won’t be able to work in as a level 2 is France, where the system is completely different.

How to become a ski instructor in France.

Which is the most popular ski instructor course?

We have 3 most popular courses:

  1. Complete Ski Instructor Course: 11 weeks levels 1 & 2 ski instructor course in Canada.
  2. Zero to Hero Ski Instructor Course: 18 weeks, levels 1, 2 & 3 0r dual qualification in Canada.
  3. BASI Ski Instructor course: 10 weeks, levels 1 & 2 in Tignes, France.
Which is the most popular snowboard instructor course?

We have 3 most popular snowboard instructor courses.

What equipment do I need for a ski or snowboard instructor course?

It works out cheaper to buy your own equipment for a snowboard or ski instructor course. You can buy at home or in resort. If purchasing equipment in the UK, we have an exclusive offer with Rossignol to get up to 35% this season’s equipment. If purchasing equipment in resort, most shops offer between 10-20% discount off ski and board equipment.

Everyone will need a decent snow jacket and trousers, several base layers, gloves, goggles, helmet and face protection (snood). We send a full kit list out around 8 weeks prior to departure.

Skiers will need:
Skis, ski boots, bindings, and poles

Snowboarders will need:
Snowboard, snowboarding boots and bindings

Do you cater for dietary requirements?

Of course!

Whether it is a medical requirement or personal choice, the restaurants we use are very experienced in catering for a range of requirements – from nut, milks and gluten allergies to vegan diets, we can ensure you are well fed.

If you are concerned about dietary requirements, call our office to discuss self-catering options on 0173 763402.

Start typing and press Enter to search