Want to work in Japan this winter?

The Japanese powder is world famous, and it is fast becoming the destination to head to as a qualified ski or snowboard instructor.

There are two visa options for those wanting to instruct in Japan, a skilled workers or a working holiday visa.

Check out the Winter Sports Company jobs page for work opportunities in Japan.

Japan Skilled Worker Visa

A skilled worker visa for sports trainers in Japan requires 3 years of coaching experience – which means for the average ski instructor this could take up to 9 years to achieve (on an average of 4 months work per year between December and April).
You need to be sponsored by a snow-school to get a Skilled Labour Visa, but if you’re eligible for one, snow-schools in Japan will snap you up and hold on to you! How to apply for a skilled worker visa.

Japan Working Holiday Visa

If you’re aged between 18 and 30 and are a citizen of the UK, Canada, France, Germany, Korea, New Zealand, Australia, Norway or Hong Kong, you are eligible to apply for a Japanese working holiday visa. Irish citizens aged between 18 and 25 are also eligible.

One years visas with no option to extend are available for Norway, Germany, France, Korea, the UK and Ireland. Citizens of Australia, New Zealand and Canada are eligible for six month visas, which can be extended.

Criteria you must fulfil to be eligible for a working holiday visa:

  • You must be from a country listed above and currently residing in yout country of citizenship
  • At the time of application you must be between 18 and 30 years of age (or 25 for Ireland)
  • Have not taken part in the working holiday programme previously
  • Possess a valid passport and a return ticket, or enough funds to purchase a return ticket
  • Have enough funds for living and medical expenses during your time in Japan
  • Be in good health
  • Intend to primarily holiday in Japan for a specific amount of time
  • You must have a clean criminal record
  • Be able to apply in person at the Japanese consulate nearest to you

                Tips and Advice:

  • If you’re travelling significant distance to visit the consulate, it is worth contacting them first to make sure you are not turned away.
  • You will need to following to make your application:
  1. Valid passport
  2. A completed visa application form with a recent passport photo
  3. A resume form, or CV/personal history
  4. An outline of proposed itinerary for the whole stay in Japan – intended activities form
  5. A written reason for applying for a Working Holiday Visa
  6. Proof of funds – £2500 or £1500 plus a return ticket/proof of onward journey
  7. Application Fee
  • UK applications can be made at the Embassy of Japan in London. If you reside in Scotland or certain council districts in the North of England you can apply at the Consulate General of Japan in Edinburgh.
    Counties covered: Cumbria, County Durham, Darlington, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton-on-Tees and Sunderland.
  • Don’t overthink your written reason for applying – stick to the stuff you like to do, and why you’d love to do it in Japan. What interests you about Japan? Snow, food, culture, opportunity to travel the country are all great reasons. Keep it to around one page long.
  • Proposed Itinerary – don’t find this too daunting, you don’t need to be too specific, just have a decent idea of the places you’d like to see and what you’d like to do. It is a pre-requisite of this visa that you are heading over mainly to travel and see Japan. If you are asked about work and have some lined up, be honest and inform them that the work is to support you as you see the beautiful country and do the activities you want to do.

There are some fantastic ski and snowboard instructor jobs in Japan, check out our jobs board to see if your perfect job is out there!

Recommended Posts